These past weeks have been overwhelming, and my time has been split between many different areas. I began to feel like I couldn’t keep up with my never-ending to-do list. It’s times like these that I go back to my TO-DO LIST PRINCIPLES of Getting Shit Done.
- If the task takes less than 5 minutes to do – DO IT NOW.
- If someone else can do this to 70% satisfaction level – DELEGATE IT NOW.
- If it doesn’t align with your priorities – LET IT SIT (I call this the parking lot).
- Otherwise, SCHEDULE a time to do it. Yes, block out 1-2 hours of time in your calendar to do that task, as you would for a meeting.
- Action begets action. Contrary to popular belief start with the small stuff if you’re feeling overwhelmed.
- Do the things that need willpower and focus, early on in the day.
- Schedule meetings and calls with people for late afternoon 3:00 pm and onwards.
While I was working for Urban Quest developing City Chase Ottawa, my direct supervisor bluntly told me,
“If you’re going to be busy, you better be organized.” Her name was Kelly, we called her Klu-Bot.
She was a machine. Nobody got more shit done than her.